There’s something to be said about wearing your favorite shade of red lipstick. I don’t know about you but when my lips are colored with a red hue I instantly feel a little sexier; my attitude changes, even my walk is a little bit more sultry.
Rouged lips didn’t always have that affect on women; Just a quick look at America’s history and it’s evident it took time for them to become a symbol of empowerment and self-assurance. In the early 20th century the only gals who wore a red lip were precieved as “pretty women,” if you catch my drift. All that changed during World War II when women were encouraged to wear cosmetics; Propaganda claimed women were doing their part in the war if they “looked their best,” but a shortage in ingredients made lipstick scarce. Iconic stars like Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe revived the crimson pout in the late 1940s-1950s, and the classic look has stayed with women ever since.
Today women can wear red lipstick any and every day of the week if they wish. I gravitate toward it during the Holiday season. I have about 3 favorite reds but the one I used for this look has got to be on the top of my list. Lorac Matte Lip Pencil in Merlot is a deep burgundy color. Just look at it! Doesn’t it make you swoon?! I love that it’s matte (but not drying), buildable and long-lasting.
Normally when I do such a strong lip I keep my eyes very minimal, which I did for the most part with this look, but I kind of did away with my own rule just a bit and went for subtle purpley-pink hues on the lids. It worked so well that I had to share with you ladies. Here’s what I used:
- Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette
- ‘Liar’ on the lid, ‘Factory’ on the outer V, a bit of ‘Trick’ patted on the center of the lid for some sparkle and ‘Strange’ on the brow bone and inner tear duct
- Maybelline Full ‘N Soft Mascara (Waterproof, Very Black)
- Lorac Matte Lip Pencil in Merlot
- Maybelline Define-A-Brow (Medium Brown)
- Maybelline Eye Studio Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara (Soft Brown)
- Tarte Pin Up Girl Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush Palette (Breathless Blush)
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish (Soft and Gentle for highlight)
- Smashbox Studio Skin 15-Hour Wear Foundation (2.2)
- MAC Select Cover-Up for blemishes (NW25)
- L.A. Girl HD Pro Concealer for under eyes (Creamy Beige)
- MAC Studio Fix Powder (C4)
I’m all about embracing red lips this Holiday season and pairing them with your favorite scarf and comfy sweater (like I did in the last photo to run errands) or wearing them to a Holiday party! What are your favorite red lipsticks?