The do’s and don’ts of makeup can seem endless; Simply google “makeup tips” and millions pop up from makeup artists and beauty experts from around the world! The good news? There’s really no such thing as “rules” in makeup. The bad? I may have just fibbed a bit. While it’s true you can do whatever the heck you want with your makeup, most of us use (and love it) for its ability to help us look polished, glam and perhaps conceal a night of no sleep or the blemish du jour. That’s where following basic guidelines will make all the difference in putting together the best foundation (pun intended) for a makeup routine you know and trust. So take notes beauties, because you’re about to read the definitive list of makeup tips you should know!
- Blending is key with makeup. Whether it’s your foundation, eye shadow, blush or bronzer, nobody likes harsh lines. The best makeup is one that appears smooth and effortless. Products like the beauty blender (or the Real Techniques sponge for a more cost effective alternative) can help you achieve this!
- Concealing your under-eye circles is all about layering! After you apply a hydrating eye cream and tap a corrector (normally a peach or salmon shade) to eliminate any blue or purple-based dark circles, you should then apply concealer in an upside down triangle to brighten and help reflect the natural shadow light casts on your under-eye area. Finish with a finely milled setting powder to make sure your concealer doesn’t budge. My top three favorite concealers for brightening are all found HERE and I talk about a new favorite HERE.
- Find your perfect foundation shade by applying the three colors you’re considering down your jawline. Blend with your fingers and whichever disappears is the right shade for you. I talk about my favorite foundations HERE (keep a look out for an updated favorite foundations post coming soon!)
- Learn what your skin type is and customize your makeup to it. The same foundation your dry friend adores won’t work on your oily/combination skin.
- Apply a bit of highlight to your brow bone to give the illusion of an instant face lift. Go a step further and add it to the inner corner of your eyes for a wide awake look and your cupid’s bow for fuller lips. You can find what highlighter works best for your skin tone HERE.
- If done properly, bronzer can be your best friend. By applying bronzer in the shape of the number “3” (top along your hairline, middle right under your cheekbones and bottom swept across your jaw line) you’ll create the appearance of a slimmer face (and can sometimes disguise a foundation shade that’s too light for your skin tone).
- Fill your lips with a lip liner to ensure your lipstick stays on longer. It also adds dimension to your lipstick shade and helps lips look plumper. THESE lip liners were stand outs in 2015!
- Set your eyeliner with a matte shadow of a similar shade to make it last all day.
- Don’t skimp on good makeup brushes; they make even the cheapest makeup look high-end. Also remember that the best makeup brushes aren’t always the most expensive either.. I talk about my favorite foundation brush HERE that’s under $14.
- Last but not least (and perhaps the most important tip) has nothing to do with makeup but rather with what you do before you start your routine- that’s right, it’s all about finding the right skincare! Prepping your skin with proper products that suit your skin type will help your makeup wear better all day long and work as the best base.
So there you have it! This list can seem pretty obvious to my fellow makeup junkies but to anyone trying to figure out their way in this overwhelming makeup world it’s a great start! And a nice reminder to the rest of us to never forget the basics.